Thursday, June 11, 2009

Finding new relatives

Two weeks ago I found a gentleman on myspace that lived in the same town as my mother's family.  He also happen to have the last name as my mother's youngest sister.  So I got brave and contacted him through email.  As it turned out my aunt was also his aunt by marriage and he was able through emails to put me in the right direction of finding my mother's little sister.  He had managed to get me a few old phone numbers. Sadly most of them did not work or were no longer in services.  But the last one I tried turned out to be my Aunt's oldest daughter Leila.  I left a message stating who I was and how I needed to get hold of her mom.  Last Saturday morning Leila returned my call, and we talked and remember things of when I was last there as a young child.  She then told me that she and her mom lived in Virginia Beach, I was like omg I met Lou there and got married there and lived right down the road from them in Norfolk.  She gave me My aunt's cell number and I with shaking hands called her.  Sadly she could only talk a few minutes because she was about to go into a meeting and she asked could she call me back that night.  When she called me back we talked for nearly two and half hours.  She was able to tell me more about my natural father and give me some clues how to possibly find him.  We laughed a lot together remembering my mother, learning things about my mom's family.  It was so wonderful talking to her because it brought back a memory of being safe and protected with her.  I told her this and she told me she always felt like she needed to protect me and shelter me from any pain tossed at me which made me for the first time in a long time like my family actually did love me and I was not some toss away. When we hung up we promised to keep in touch and not to disappear from one another again.  I finally after all these years feel like I belong, that I am part of a family.

 

Now the search begins for my father.  I do not know where this will lead too or if I will ever find him but just to know something about my past is now becoming exciting and I owe that to Joanne, my aunt.  This will help open doors to possibly find out the health history of my family something I did not know.  It will help with the treatment of my kidneys and lupus and maybe just maybe I will meet the man that is my father and the 3 or 4 possible sisters I have out there somewhere.  Suddenly it does not seem so scary anymore.  My aunt gave me the courage with along with my family and friends to look for my dad and now maybe it just might happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment